Tuesday 9 June 2009

Helping people to meet Jesus.

'Helping people to meet Jesus' is our church motto, and this morning I had the opportunity to do just that. I was called over to the church where there was a lady in some distress, saying that the devil had her in his power. We went into the church to pray and I asked her about her life. I suggested that I prayed for her and anointed her with the oil of chrism. This is oil that is traditionally used at confirmation and is a sign God sealing the believer with his Holy Spirit. As I prayed I could see what was troubling this lady visibly lifting off her, and her cries of distress changed to prayers of joy.

What a privilege to have this ministry of reconciliation (as St Paul puts it) - that is, helping people to be reconciled with God through his Son Jesus. And what a joy to see God's grace at work through his Holy Spirit restoring this 'prodigal daughter'.

No comments: